Sweet Dreams Dear Trevor


Sleep is something that has always been hard for Trevor. Ever since he was a baby he has tossed and turned, wimpered in his sleep, and itched and woke up most nights. Sleep is so important for development and it made such a difference for how he was able to cope with daily life. Since he never napped I tried as hard as I could to make sure he got at least 12 hrs of sleep and I often made some pretty crazy accomadations to make sure that he got sleep. He was never one to cry or fuss about having to go to bed, when he moved from his crib to a toddler bed, he didnt try and get out of bed. It was always him just not being able to sleep, or restless sleep. Some nights it would take forever for him to fall asleep, he was just laying there in the dark waiting for his body to shut down. As someone that has battled insomnia quite a bit, it just broke my heart. I know how rough it is to be tired and not be able to sleep.

Over time changes have helped him some. I cut out all milk from his diet and he started sleeping through the night, special lotion helped with the itching, his room is now as dark as possible at night because of his sensitivity to light, and he has a strict bedtime and routine. His sleep was still restless and it took him a long time to relax and go to sleep. While doing some research on different therapies I came across the a website talking about the merits of weighted blankets for autistic childrens sleep. The weight of the blanket was supposed to help calm them and help them sleep.




 I asked My wonderful sister Carey to make one for Trevor. She is the most amazing quilter and she selflessly made it for him while pregnant/with a new baby. She is such a blessing.Trevor picked out the fabric with 3 of his favorite things, sports balls, blue and cars. The blanket weighs a little over 4 lbs and is so cute and cozy. The past two nights since he has slept under his weighted blanket trevor has fallen asleep in about 5 mins with no tossing or turning. AMAZING! Tonight he asked me for it as he climbed in bed so I think he knows its helping him sleep. I am so excited for him that he has finally gotten some rest, and from what I can tell, its been peaceful rest. Doesn't he look cozy? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment